Sunday, March 6, 2011

On Hataraki Man

Hello!  I hope this evening has been enjoyable for everyone!  This time I want to talk about a series I recently finished watching,  titled "Hataraki Man" (which is written as 働きマン in Japanese).  Before I begin, though, I'd like to put out a WARNING; this post may contain information that can be considered SPOILERS, so if you're watching or would like to watch Hataraki Man and don't want to be spoiled for any of the events that occur in the series, then please skip this postYou have been warned.  ^  ^

Cover page of the Hataraki Man manga series, featuring the heroine, Hiroko Matsukata.

Based on a manga by Moyoco Anno, "Hataraki Man" is an 11 episode anime series that follows the life and blossoming career of Hiroko Matsukata, a 28-year-old journalist whose job leaves little to no time for nurturing her relationship with her workaholic boyfriend.


To quote the Wikipedia article on the series: "Hiroko... is a woman who works for a magazine company. She puts all she has into her work, and is known as a strong, straight-forward working girl, who can at will turn herself into Hataraki Man (working man) mode. Despite Hiroko's success at work, her life lacks romance. Even though a hard worker, she'd leave early anytime to go on a date."

Now, I started watching the series up to episode five a couple of years ago, and stopped for no particular reason.  A few weeks ago, on a rainy Saturday afternoon, I came across the title in my MAL anime list.  So I decided, hey, why not go ahead and finish the series?  I only had six more episodes to go, so what did I have to lose?

As it turns out, nothing!  In fact, I'm really glad that I decided to finish watching Hataraki Man.  Even though it's a short series, Hataraki Man was a great story for me.  I really loved Hiro's character; she's a strong and successful woman, who is brave enough to do what she loves despite her difficulties.

I felt like I could really identify with her frustrations.  Success at work is a very heady thing, and Hiro works hard to make sure her job gets done.  I also admire her determination, and dedication to personal grooming.  Even when she's working aggressively, her image is polished and smart.  I think she's a great example of  being able to manage a tough career while still retaining that bit of femininity that lurks in all girls.

But I must say that I didn't care much for her boyfriend, Shinji; he didn't seem like he was the right type of man for someone like Hiro, even though they got along so well initially.  I mean, he couldn't appreciate the fact that she's good at what she does?  Really?  I know it happens IRL, but I personally would prefer to be with someone who could be happy for my success and not become bitter in comparing his work performance to mine, like Shinji did to Hiro during the course of the series.  In any case, I'm very glad that a solution to their relationship issues that I believe is best for both of them is applied by the end of the series.

Hiro is flanked by a cast of characters that is mainly composed of her co-workers at Weekly JIDAI, the newspaper office at which she is an editor and feature writer.  Among these co-workers, as well as a friend who also has a rigorous career as a doctor, are other women who provide interesting contrasts to Hiro's character.  There's the cute and ambitious Mayu Nagisa, the cool and elegant Maiko Kaji, and the ultra-feminine and cunning Yumi Nogawa, all of whom have lasting impressions on Hiro that help her to grow both as a journalist and a person.

Hataraki Man is a series that I feel addresses some of the hard decisions people have to make when it comes to deciding what to do with one's life.  I also think it's a lesson that balance is key to any lifestyle, and that one must be aware of the consequences that come bundled with the benefits of the decisions made.  And I certainly want to wish Hiro the best and hope that she finds someone who can understand and support her, as well as let her be able to do the same.

I recommend the series as a good quick-watch if you're into Jousei comics (I think it falls under that category...?), as its thought-provoking, amusing, and quite candid in its view of the life of a young career woman and the challenges she faces. 

You can follow Hiro's adventures through the original manga, the anime series, or the 2007 drama starring Miho Kanno as Hiroko.  I haven't watched the drama or read the manga, but judging from the anime, Hataraki Man is a series that's worth looking into if you haven't already!

I hope this post was enjoyable; please do let me know what you think!  Thanks~